Signal is a next generation wireless network provider with a difference. We are not just selling connectivity but many useful applications that will benefit whole communities. As part of our service we are offering limited free access to our networks.
Register by visiting our web site www.getsignal.co.uk. Click on the link at the top right of our home page then follow the login instructions. Once you have filled in your information you will receive your user name and password, then connect to the Signal Free network.
Once you are registered you should go to the search for network section on your computer and click on the “Signal” link that relates to the product you are logging on to.
We are doing a roll out across the Borough right now, to find out if your area is currently covered visit www.getsignal.co.uk/coverage
“Signal Free”, for the 2 hour free service or “Signal Premium” for our 24/7 unlimited download subscription service.
What is the price?
As well as our 2 hours per day free service we have several paid services. You can find out more on our products and services tab www.getsignal.co.uk/products
Most computers, laptops, and Smartphones are able to pick up the Signal Wi-Fi network by clicking on “search for networks” on the device. Assuming you are in an area which our network covers, you will be able to find our service by searching for “networks”. Once you have discovered our network you will be able to select our “Signal Free”, you will then be taken to our Registration area.
If you do not have a device capable of connecting to a Wi-Fi network you can visit a public service where you know there is a computer such as the library, or ask a friend or relative with internet access to register on your behalf.
20 Mbps is a measure of how fast you can download something over the internet, say a video, 20 Mbps is very fast Internet access and is suitable for
* Downloading (e.g. movies and videos)
* Streamed television
* Social networks, uploading and downloading photos
* Online gaming
Upload is the speed at which you send data.
You can get our up to 20 Mbps download service by subscribing to one of our paid Wi-Fi packages, details of which are available at www.getsignal.co.uk/products
A telephone line is not required to use the W-iFi network.
This depends on the type of user you are:
* Light user. If you use the Internet two or three times per week to check email and surf the web, then you are a light user. Our free Wi-Fi package is probably more than adequate since there is little point in paying for high speed downloads.
* Medium user. If you use the Internet on a daily basis to check email, surf the web and occasionally to download music or video, then you are a medium user. Our paid for service would provide a better experience but you may find our free service is just about adequate for your needs.
* Heavy user. If you use the internet for 5 to 6 hours per day and download music and videos, watch streamed TV and share photos on social network sites then you would most probably benefit from our paid for service with its unlimited usage and faster download speeds.
Initially we will accept Debit Cards and Credit Cards. In the future we intend to offer Direct Debit as a payment option.
You do not need to buy a router. However, the Wi-Fi signal is not guaranteed to disperse equally throughout your premises and so you may find some parts of your property have better signal than other parts.
If you decide to opt for our paid £9.99 per month service, then a router will be provided that will be able to take signal from the Wi-Fi network and re-broadcast it within your premises thereby providing a more consistent and reliable service.
The router may also achieve a faster connection speed than your laptop/PDA as it has a more sensitive Wi-Fi receiver.
Our own free anti-virus and cloud back-up service will be available soon.
Until then, you may wish to consider using the free services provided by many providers.
The following background is relevant to this question.
* Our Internet connection is filtered through the Internet Watch Foundation under our lease agreements with our providers
* Digital City is applying additional web based content filtering provided by OpenDNS. The OpenDNS blacklist is applied to sites that are detected as fitting into the following categories (descriptions from OpenDNS.com):
* Sites that distribute applications, which display advertisements without user’s knowledge or choice. Does NOT include sites which serve advertising.
* Sites about alcohol use, commercial and otherwise.
* Sites for meeting other people.
* Sites about illegal or recreational drug use.
* Sites that offer gambling or information about gambling.
* Sites that promote intolerance based on gender, age, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or other group identities.
* Sites about weapons, commercial and otherwise.
* Sites that contain information on such subjects as mutilation, torture, horror, or the grotesque.
* Sites displaying or dedicated to lingerie/bikini that could be considered adult-only.
* Sites providing proxy bypass information or services. Also, sites that allow the user to surf the net anonymously, including sites that allow the user to send anonymous emails.
* Sites that provide information, images or implications of bondage, sadism, masochism, fetish, beating, body piercing or self-mutilation.
* Sites that provide images or representations of nudity.
* Anything relating to pornography, including mild depiction, soft pornography or hard-core pornography.
* By enabling phishing protection, you’ll protect everyone on your network from known phishing sites using the best data available.
You may wish to install additional software specifically designed to filter and/or monitor your children’s Internet activities, including mobile phones and/or personal media player type devices.
The removal of this restriction is not available immediately. The only circumstances in which the OpenDNS filters will not be applied are when we are able to verify the age of the account holder and the account holder is a premium service customer.
This depends on your service type.
* Free Service. Only one device can connect per registered account, you will be able to use this device anywhere you can receive our signal.
* Paid Service where a router is provided means you will have a Wi-Fi home or office and you can then have more than one person connected.
This means you can connect to the Signal Wi-Fi network wherever you have coverage. So this could be at home, or in the town centre or at the local park, for example. The network aims to provide you with mobility to surf the Internet wherever and whenever you want rather than being tied to a desk.
The free service is capped at 2 hours per day (00:00 hrs to 24:00 hrs). The paid service is unlimited downloads, this is based on our experience of knowing what users want.
We reserve the right to introduce a fair usage policy in the future.
We are confident we can help you reduce costs. Please visit www.getsignal.co.uk/products for further detailed information.
A Wi-Fi enabled device (e.g. computer, mobile phone, PDA, PMP)
Yes our Self-care service will be available 24/7 for all users.
Our live support will be available from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday for subscribers of the paid service.
You will need to check with your email service provider.
If you have an Internet email from providers such as Yahoo, Google and Hotmail, then this will not be an issue.
You do not have to sign up for a contract for our free service. You can choose to take out a contract for our faster service, which has no limitations.
You should check with your company. Provided their consent is given and they have set-up your laptop appropriately then you should be able to connect.